Using Zoom to Record Lectures
From Racine Lewis on March 16th, 2020
Before you can record using Zoom, you must have the Zoom Desktop Client software installed on your computer or device. If applicable, visit zoom.us/download to download and install Zoom Client for Meetings. You will only have to complete this step the first time you use Zoom on your computer or device.…Read more Less…
- To get started recording your lecture using Zoom, you will first need to open any materials that you’d like to share with students as part of your lecture, such as presentations, documents or websites. If you’d like to only record yourself, you can skip this step.
- Next, launch Zoom on your computer. Choose Sign in with SSO and enter your UD credentials.
- Click New Meeting to start a new meeting with just yourself.
- Once in Zoom, locate the menu at the bottom of the Zoom window. If you want to show your video, make sure your camera is enabled. Click the Start Video button to enable your camera.
- If you’re sharing a PowerPoint or other materials with students, click the green Share button. This will bring up a new window prompting you to select a window or application to share. Choose what you want to share and click the Share button at the bottom-right corner of the window.
- If you are only sharing a PowerPoint or Google Slide throughout the entire video, choose that option and click share. If you are showing various materials throughout the lecture, for example showing a PowerPoint, then switching over to show a pdf document, choose the share entire screen option and click share.
- Note the menu moves to the top of the Zoom window when you share your screen.
- Once you feel prepared to start recording the lecture, click the More button at the top of the Zoom window. Choose Record to the cloud from the drop-down menu. This will record what you’ve chosen to share.
- A blinking red dot will appear near the top of the screen indicating the recording has started.
- To stop the recording, click the More button at the top of the Zoom window.
- Choose Stop Recording from the drop-down menu.
- To make more videos, simply Record and Stop Recording again. Each time you Stop Recording, Zoom produces another video file. To take a break in the recording without creating a new video file, use the Pause Recording option instead.
- When you are finished recording, click the More button and then choose End Meeting from the drop-down menu. Click End Meeting for All.
- Your cloud recording will be available for you in your My Media in Canvas which can be published to the Media Gallery for students. If you do not use Canvas, you can access your recording in UD Capture Space.